Sunday, October 2, 2011

Apple Pudding Cake

I love making this cake in the autumn time. It reminds me of my mom. I remember her making this cake. I don't know where she got this recipe, but it reminds me of one of those fantastic recipes that you get out of your grandmother's old wooden recipe box. You know...the beautiful hand written card that is worn and stained from so much use? Well, I WISH that I was lucky enough to find stuff like that in my grandmother's kitchen, but alas, my grandmother hates cooking and baking and pretty much anything to do with the kitchen. So, I'm really quite sure that this isn't an old family recipe, at least not from my family. But, I'm so lucky that my daughter will be able to find cool things that I only day dream about in both of her grandmother's kitchens!

Anyway, back to the cake. It's a super easy cake to make. It's really basic, but the caramel sauce that you dump...uh...er...I mean drizzle on it just brings it to a new level. But, as you can see in this picture, it's actually a VERY ugly cake. Don't make this and plan on just sticking candles in it and singing "happy birthday" and taking great pictures. The cake is just NOT beautiful!












But, it doesn't look too shabby all dressed up pretty with whipped cream and caramel sauce, does it? (ooh...I love my new camera!)


So, please, please, please don't let it's ugliness deter you. This is an amazing fall dessert, and you must try it! What's your favorite fall dessert?

Apple Pudding Cake

1 Cup Butter, softened (2 sticks)

2 Cups Sugar

2 Eggs

4 Cups peeled and grated Apple (I like to use a mixture of tart and sweet apples, but you can use whatever you have on hand)

2 tsp. Baking Soda

2 tsp. Cinnamon

2 Cups Flour

Grease and flour a 9x13 pan. Combine flour, baking soda and cinnamon in a small bowl. Using a hand or stand mixer, cream butter, sugar and eggs until light and fluffy. Gradually add the dry ingredients, alternating with the grated apple. Mix until all ingredients are incorporated. The batter will be thick. Scoop into prepared pan and smooth out batter. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes. Cake is done when it's dark in color and looks spongy and firm, and no runny spots remain. (See ugly picture above). The "toothpick" trick (i.e. the toothpick comes out clean when it's done) doesn't really work on this cake because it's so moist, so use your best judgement. If it's super ugly and dark, it's probably done! Cool completely, and serve with whipped cream and easy caramel sauce:

Easy Caramel Sauce:

1 C Brown Sugar

½ C Butter

½ C Whipping Cream (don't forget to buy more if you want to top it with whipped cream as well...and uh, believe me, you do!)

To make the sauce, heat butter in small saucepan just until melted. Stir in the sugar until it is dissolved. Remove from heat and whisk in the whipping cream. (Really, this takes like 5 minutes total. There's no cooking to 240 degrees and all that jazz.) Serve cake topped with warm caramel sauce and a spoonful of whipped cream.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Sounds delicious!!!! Gonna have to try it for sure!

Peggy said...

Yum, this sounds good! It might break my diet again:)

Gelukkig said...

:-) YUMMY!!!!!

The Time Voyager said...

YUMMY!

myrtle said...

OH my! that looks very tempting. .thanks for posting the recipe.
buy rift account

Anonymous said...

it should be delicious!