Monday, January 17, 2011

Tip - Freezing Pesto

I hope that everyone had a wonderful holiday season! I apologize for being MIA. I usually have lots going on during the holidays and lots of family visiting from out of town. So, if it doesn't really need to be done, then it doesn't get done...hence no blogging!

I have a couple of good recipes that call for pesto, but since pesto has a strong flavor, it doesn't take much to put some good flavor into a dish. My favorite place to purchase pesto is at Costco (so, it's a big bottle!), and instead of letting it go bad because I can't use the entire jar at once, I freeze it! My favorite way to freeze it is in an ice cube tray. I just spoon it into the ice cube tray, and then once it's completely frozen, I pop them out and seal them into a Ziploc freezer bag. Then, I can just pull out a few at a time when I need them.

You can use pesto in this recipe for pizza rolls, or you can thaw a few and drizzle it over some pasta. Stay tuned and I'll be posting a recipe for a yummy panini that uses pesto in it too!

You all are sure quiet! I'd love to hear if you've tried any recipes and how they worked for you. What's your favorite way to eat pesto?




3 comments:

Becca said...

You read my mind, Aubri. Or you read a recent post of mine. ;-) I love pesto in a lot of forms, but this tomato soup is one of my favorites.
http://relativerecipes.blogspot.com/2011/01/tuscan-tomato-soup.html

The Higginbothams said...

My favorite use of pesto is on homemade pizza. I mix in it alfredo sauce and top it with tomato slices, chicken, artichoke hearts and mozzarella. Mmm, yummy!

Aubri said...

Becca...that recipe looks divine! I love tomato soup!

Jess...We love pesto on pizza too...almost this same combo, but I haven't tried mixing the pesto with alfredo! Sounds so good!